Friday, January 25, 2008

A Pastors Work is Never Done

While doing my house husband duties, I got a call that one of my church members is dying out of state. I have been on the phone with the family helping them to make arrangements for a service and comforting them. The lady who is dying is 85. She was saved last year and was baptised. I think that was the funnest most sweet baptism I have ever done. She was visiting her daughter in Colorado Springs when she became ill.

I am praying for this family. They are wonderful members of our church. They are have gone through a lot in the last year. Now they are having to travel from East Texas to Colorado to take care of their mother and grandmother.

I love being a pastor. I love going through life with people. I love being able to see people experience birth, death, tragedy, suffering, hope, challenges, victories and all things that this side of glory has to offer. I count it all joy to be able to be a part of this. When my people hurt, I hurt. When they rejoice, I rejoice.

Paul said that he "travails like a women in birth till Christ is formed in you.." (T.L.P - The Larry Paraphrase) Having witnessed my children's birth as well as others while I was a paramedic and a police officer (I have even delivered on) I see the pain a women goes through. She hurts while at the same time something wonderful is taking place. When victory comes i.e. the birth, the pain is secondary to the joy of creation that has taken place.

This is how I feel at times. I have been told by some not to get emotionally involved with your people, stand aloof at a distance. My answer is, Jesus did not. Jesus sat at the table, went to the weddings and the funerals, hung out in the temple, the river, the lake, the side of the road where ever folks were. I do live by one example that Jesus practiced, He often withdrew to lonely places to pray and have communion with God. I do that as well. So I can, like Jesus, go back among the people and poor into their lives.

nuff for now...

3 comments:

Liz said...

Have I told you that I love you enough lately?

This is one of the reasons I love you. I love your passion for what you do. I love seeing other people's eyes light up when someone mentions Pastor Larry coming to help them out. I love knowing that other people love you & respect you for what you do in their lives. I am honored to be your wife.

Thank you, Jesus, for bringing this precious man into my life.

m.d. mcmullin said...

You've become quite the blogger and have set a brisk pace for yourself.

I have added you to my blog.

L.G. Reeves said...

Thanks Mike! this is kind of fun.