Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dont Shoot The Wounded

Some times we as christians can be very cruel. When one of our brothers and sisters is overtaken in some sin, we walk away from them. But we dont do this with all sins. We are especially hard on those who have been leaders. I am guilty of this myself. But as I read God's word I think, who am I to look down on anyone? What ever happened to restoring the one overtaken in sin. Helping them to be reconciled?

We also seem to be harder on those who have a struggle with a sexual sin. We seem to be able to look over and wink at some things but as soon as someone has "one of those problems" we are ready to crucify them. I am not saying it is ok to sin sexually, but isnt sin...sin??? Just because one brother or sister struggles with one sin and not another does not make one sin better or worse does it?

We can make it very hard on people who want to repent and be right with God. We seem to want to add things to people that God does not want them to do. We are all dirt. We are all ragamuffins. We are all loved by God. We should always be ready to be reconciled to our brother and sister. We should not be a stumbling block in someone's path towards repentence.

People can still be used after a fall. We should be ready to help someone. I know their are consequences. But do we have to make it worse? I catch some flak for listening to Jimmy and Donnie Swaggart. I know Jimmy had a problem in the 80's. I know he disgraced the church and himself. But he continues now to preach the word of God. I enjoy reading his study bible. I dont always agree with him, but my faith is not based on him. Jim Bakker was able to be used of the Lord again. There have been others.

Wasnt King David still used of God after the rooftop?

5 comments:

Liz said...

Amen. Some of the greatest men in the Bible had issues of sexual sin. Look at David like you said. Then there's Abraham, Lot... The list is long. I think it just goes to prove that 'we all like sheep have gone astray'. No one is "above" stumbling. Thank goodness we have the greatest shepherd to pull us back into Him.

m.d. mcmullin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L.G. Reeves said...

I never said he was perfect. We all say dumb things. My interest in him is the style of preaching. I like to listen to that style of preaching. I consider myself a student of preachers. He does have some interesting perspectives on things. I am glad my faith is not based on him.

It is not just televangelist. I know of some average everyday folks (friends of min..;-))who have been involved in sexual sin. It is very difficult for them to come back to church where people knew them. It shouldnt be if they have truly repented.

Anonymous said...

larry - great blog! I love David... always gives me hope. I am also thankful that we don't specifically what Paul's thorn in the flesh was. We all have one. Sanctification is the journey... by God's grace!

m.d. mcmullin said...

to whom much is given much is required.

jimmy has been given much grace but does not extend that same grace to others.