Sunday, December 21, 2008

Update on all the happs

Well I still h ave not got that stupid deer. Sam and I went back again tonight and I went on Friday and still nothing. I am starting to wonder about my skills as a hunter. sigh...

I have been doing a lot of reading about Mother Theresa. What a profound lady with a profound ministry. I am bothered a bit by some of the things she says. In some of the prayers that she has written she encourages Muslims and Hindus to put the name of their God in the place of Jesus. She encourages them to be better Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs or what ever. This bothers me.

I guess the evangelical in me screams out "why not lead them to Jesus.!!!!!" I don't want to diminish the work that she did, but wow.

I also re-read a book by Dominic Dunne called "Anther City No My Own" - about the OJ Simpson murder case. He is a good writer. The first time I read this book I had borrowed it from my grandfather. He read every book written about the OJ trial. I read most of them. My thoughts...GUILTY!!!!!

Tonight we went to my mother in law's church. They had a walk through nativity story. It was done by the youth. They did a very good job.

In the next couple of weeks I am going to be taking on some new responsibilities at the church. I am excited, nervous, sad, over whelmed all at the same time. One of the things I will not be doing is teaching Sunday school. A break is nice. I have been teaching straight for 4 years now. I love to teach. I love the prep time that I have getting to study in the word and drawing out from God's treasure things that I can share with what ever class I am leading.

I have also been reflecting on the the last 4 years and asking some questions.
1. Have I made a difference?
2. Have I been obedient?
3. Have I missed anything?
4. How can I improve?
5. What should I do more/less of?

Time will tell.

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Have you ever read City of Joy? It's about a Polish missionary who lives and ministers to the poor, sick, and needy in Calcutta. I think it's officially a historical novel or embellished biography - take you pick. Anyway, it made a profound impact in my life when I read it. Mother Theresa is mentioned in the book as the missionary's ministry briefly comes together with hers. If you're ever looking for a long read that describes true human tragedy and the true beauty of God's creation in this world, I'd recommend it.

I'm curious about these new changes at the church. Is there a place where we can see the new way responsibilities will fall across the staff? We'll miss you in SS, and I certainly hope that emphasis on outreach is not going to suffer with any of these changes.

Regarding your questions, I think only you and the Holy Spirit can answer 2-5, but as someone in whom you have made a difference this year, I can answer "Yes" to number 1.

Merry Christmas!

L.G. Reeves said...

I have never read that book. I do want to read that book about Keith Green you said you had that I could borrow.

Doug is going to be introducing the new stuff on 1/4/09 about new responsibilities.

thanks for the encouragement.

Nathan said...

Oh yes. I forgot. I see it here on my bookshelf. Keep reminding me, or stop by and pick it up whenever you'd like if you're tired of waiting.

Amanda said...

1. Yes. Absolutely.