Monday, October 27, 2008

Playing my part

Tomorrow morning I am going to be preaching at the Salvation Army Chapel for their daily service. The message I am sharing is about John the Baptist from John 4 where he says that he must decrease so the Jesus can increase.

John's followers were upset because the people that used to follow them, were now following Jesus. John tells them that God gives each of us jobs. We are to each play our part. And sometimes our part is to step back so someone else can step up.

A good friend of mine explained that even in ministry, not everyone can be the quarterback. There has to be linemen. There has to be blockers. Without the guys on the line taking the initial hits, the quarterback can not set up do what he does.

I have been doing some self thinking, reflecting or day dreaming or what ever you call it. I don't know if I have what it takes to be "the guy." Maybe my part to play, is that of a behind the scenes person. The guy who does the nuts and bolts, but is never the out front, up front main guy. I am becoming more and more OK with that. That maybe my calling is to be the detailed task doer, while others stand up front. For a while it was bothering me. But then as I study the John the Baptist, he was OK with the part he was given. He did his job and did it well. Then he faded out. Actually he got his head cut off for telling a guy who he should not be getting busy with his brothers wife, but you get my point.

The bride will follow the groom. The friend of groom will rejoice at this.

No comments: