Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Palin the Pentecostal

I was watching CNN last night. They were talking about Sara Palin being a "pentecostal" like it was some dirty word. "she believes she is moved by God" or "she may speak in tongues" or "she thinks there is going to be an Apocalypse" or some other such comments like they are bad things. I wanted to scream out, well you idiots, I believe those things as well.

My friend Mike told me how Pentecostals used to be severely persecuted in the Appalachian area. Of course when i think back and reflect, I was raised to think that people who go to "those kind of churches" were weird or that something was wrong with them. The first time I went to one, it was to an event called a "singing." My church of Christ grandmother sat me down and warned me about this place. How they do and say funny things. And when people get all excited they may run around. she told me just to sit down and don't make eye contact.

The first time I saw someone pray for a healing was in the ICU of Palestine's Hospital when my grand dad was there. My grand mother and I were in the room. A couple came in. They were very prominent people in Palestine/Elkhart. They laid hands on my grand dad and prayed that God would heal him. We had already made the decision to terminate life support. It was gut wrenching watching my grand mother make that call. We were all in support of it.

My grandmother is still upset about this too this day. She refers to them as "fanatics" and talks about how they made a fool of themselves. Incidentally, my grandmother can not stand Sara Palin.

Oh how we are separated by what should unite us.

3 comments:

m.d. mcmullin said...

I'm not sure if your friend Mike would equate the "persecution" of being nominated VP with having your windows broken, getting beat up or having a firebomb thrown in through the church window. ;)

As a Pentecostal, I would see this as a huge step forward. Most in mainstream Christian culture have made peace with Spirit-filled believers. Those who speak of it in nervous tones are of an older generation or those who are outside the circle who equate all Spirit-filled believers with Benny Hinn or Rod Parsley.

I think Christians need to be careful we don't spiritualize this presidential race. To characterize one ticket as "Christian" and the other as "not" if a false dichotomy and probably full of pride. Neither one is speaking for God but for a political party. (Just because the mailman is a Christian, doesn't mean the mail came from God)

It reminds me of how both football teams pray to win before the game. Is the winner the most spiritual team?

L.G. Reeves said...

I love the idea of spirit filled believers not being equated with Benny or Rod. After I was Baptised in the Holy Spirit, I wondered if I had to be like them. It was refreshing to know that you could be normal and spirit filled.

And you are right, I do not equate fire bomping and being subjected to the drive by media the same thing. My point was simply that there is still not "oh you are one of those" that exist.

I was at a dinner tonight for PATH (more about that in a up coming post) and one of the people at the table was talking about "one of those churches" the kind where people get touched in the head and fall down. The went to a very proper church, where all is dignified.

That since of us v them, is sad.

m.d. mcmullin said...

I agree ther is still some of that "us" vs. "them" mentality in the church world.

I think most of those people would be surprised to find out how many of "us" there are.

You mentioned you were glad to find out you could be Spirit-filled and "normal". You, my friend, are anything but "normal". :)